How a Macon truck accident lawyer investigates the truck or tractor trailer accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident with a truck or tractor trailer, you need a Macon truck accident lawyer. A truck accident lawyer will investigate your case to determine the cause of the accident and the potentially responsible parties, and to make sure that essential evidence is preserved. As an experienced tampa personal injury attorney, I know how to properly investigate these accidents.
Typical causes of truck and tractor trailer accidents
A variety of factors alone or in combination may have caused your truck accident. Here are a few of the most common.
- Wide turns.
- Sudden lane changes.
- Careless or reckless driving.
- Driver fatigue and sleep deprivation.
- Drugs or alcohol.
- Distraction from cell phones or other electronic devices.
- Failure to verify the truck driver’s credentials and driving history before hiring.
- Failure to inspect the truck’s tires, lights, and brakes.
- Lack of proper equipment, such as blind spot mirrors.
- Equipment failure caused by inadequate maintenance.
- Improper loading or overloading or failure to properly secure the load, which can lead to the truck tipping or cargo falling from the truck.
- Faulty design of the truck or any component part.
- Manufacturing flaws in the truck or any component part.
- Faulty road design.
- Improper road maintenance.
Parties potentially liable for your injuries
Depending on the cause or causes of your accident, any of the following parties may be potential defendants from whom you may seek compensation:
- The truck driver.
- The truck driver’s employer.
- The truck’s owner.
- The company that loaded the truck.
- The company that serviced or maintained the truck.
- The retailer or manufacturer of the truck or any component parts.
- The state or local governmental entity responsible for road design and maintenance.
A thorough investigation is vitally important to uncover all the causes and responsible parties to get the best possible recovery for you and your family.
Conducting the investigation
If you or a family member has been injured in a truck or tractor trailer accident, your first priority is obtaining medical treatment. Hiring a truck accident lawyer may be the last thing on your mind in the face of serious or even catastrophic injury. As difficult as it may be, it is important to engage a truck accident lawyer to get the investigation underway as soon as practicable. You can be sure the trucking company will launch its own investigation immediately on learning of the accident. And it and its team of adjusters, attorneys, and investigators will not be looking out for your interests. They will be looking for evidence to limit their liability and reduce or eliminate your recovery.
In investigating your accident, my team will:
- Visit and thoroughly examine the scene.
- Photograph and document skid marks, debris, and other evidence.
- Examine, photograph, and otherwise document the road design and road conditions.
- Photograph your vehicle, the truck, and any other vehicles involved.
- Locate and interview witnesses and get written statements from them.
- Obtain the police report and interview the investigating officers.
- Notify the trucking company to preserve specific evidence such as inspection results and log books and, if necessary, obtain a court order to prevent the destruction of evidence.
- Recover driver cell phone records.
- Obtain gas and meal receipts to track the driver and determine speed.
- Engage appropriate accident reconstruction experts to determine the cause of the accident.
- Engage appropriate engineering, automotive, and truck design experts if your case involves manufacturing and design issues.
A prompt investigation is essential. Over time, road conditions change, witnesses become difficult or impossible to locate, they forget details, and evidence is lost or destroyed.
Get help from a Macon tractor trailer accident lawyer
If you have been injured in a truck or tractor trailer accident, don’t already have a truck accident lawyer, and would like my evaluation of your case, please complete the short claim form on this page or contact me:
If you have been injured in a Motorcycle accident, please contact George Tait, an experienced motorcycle injury lawyer in Utah.